How to create recurring pollys, rotating pulse pollys, and viewing the trend history for your recurring series.
What is a Recurring Polly?
A recurring polly works just like a regular polly, except that it is sent to the audience, on a repeating schedule. It allows you to choose the frequency, and when you want the polly to go out.
For example, If you choose weekly, starting on Thursday 9/28 at 1pm, then it will continue to run every Thursday at 1pm.
Creating from Slack
- Start with the command /polly your question here
OR /polly "Your question" "Voting Option A" "Voting Option B"
💡To target a specific channel (or members of that channel) initiate the /polly "your question here" command in that channel, and select the appropriate question type / voting choices.
- Hit ⚙️Advanced Options to bring up the Scheduling option
- Hit Schedule to configure your recurring polly and choose the recurring frequency of the question, from the drop down menu.
- Hit Send to Channel when you’ve reviewed the polly summary. You can optionally select to Send by DM* if you want users to get a notification when sending this polly out.
✏️Note: Depending on what plan your team is on, your authoring controls in Slack or on the web UI may look a little bit different – some options are not available to free teams (such as Send by DM).
Authoring from the web app
To author a recurring polly from the web head over to the authoring page of the web app and follow the polly creation steps:
- Choose the appropriate channel from the drop-down list.
- Choose to make the question recur, and choose the frequency and time settings.
- Add your question, customize any options, and you’re good to go!
💡Currently we don't support recurring on specific days e.g. I want to send the Polly every Monday, Thursday & Friday. The workaround to this can be creating three separate pollys for each of these days. Save the polly as template so you don't have to re-create it everytime.
Creating a Rotating Pulse Polly
When configuring your recurring polly, you will have the option of making the polly rotating. That means that if you configure a 10 question polly and set it to rotate on a weekly frequency, every week Polly will take one question (in the order of creation) and send only that, to the audience.
This allows for lightweight feedback collection while mixing up the questions you ask.
💡A good use case for this feature, is to take quarterly or yearly employee engagement polly, and break them up into bite-size single question chunks. This lets you collect continuous feedback, and lets you evaluate those results over time.
Who can view historical results?
|Free Plan||45 days of history|
|Paid Plan||Unlimited history + Trend history🎉|
How to view the historical results for your recurring pollys
- Login to your web app dashboard.
- Navigate to the Results Feed and select your recurring single or multi-question polly.
- Here you can access the aggregate view of your polly.
You can see a full detail view of your recurring poll results including trend line of the averages of all of your votes to date (if you are on a paid plan) or the latest instance's results.
- Down below the trendline/latest instance is the History table, where you'll see all historical results for your recurring polly with their status and averages for each question.
To view a particular instance and detail: just click on the desired Send Date.
This will pop open a window that will show you that pollys full results, including comments.