Learn about Polly Trivia🎖️ in Slack through this quick guide on how it works, how to create and end a trivia game.
Polly Trivia🎖️ in Slack is a great way to engage your team with general knowledge questions in a variety of categories. Try playing trivia games once a week with your team during a social or lunch hour, to break out from normal work discourse.
How to launch a Trivia Session:
There are several ways to launch a trivia session including:
- Slack Shortcuts
By hovering over the ⚡ button on Slack, you can choose the Run Trivia Game🎖️ option.
- Polly app home
By navigating to the polly app home on Slack, click on Get Started to view the social games options. From there you can Start Polly Trivia🎖️ game in your chosen channel (private or public)
- Polly web app
Navigate to your polly web app dashboard > go to Templates > here you'll see the options to all the social games available.
✏️Note: Social games including Polly Trivia can only be created from the web app for 🔒 private channels — if polly is invited in them. Also as per the current functionality, Trivia cannot be scheduled in advance or on a recurring basis.
Authoring from Slack Shortcuts
To get started:
- Navigate to the shortcuts ⚡ button in Slack
- Select Run Trivia Game🎖️ under the Polly App options. A pop up will display to start a game of trivia.
- Select which channel you would like to play trivia in.
- Next, select how many questions in the game, game speed and question categories.
You can also choose to preview the trivia game before sending it to your Slack channel.
- Once you have reviewed your trivia questions, if you choose to do so, you can Post and Start your game.
- Confirmation of your game as well as an invitation to play, will be sent to the Slack channel you selected.
As the game is underway, you will notice a thread appear in your Slack channel. Polly will post the previously asked question as well as the correct answer, at 30 second intervals.
Once the game has concluded, a fun gif will display along with a list of everyone’s scores. See how you and your teammates did, and then launch another round! 🎉
How to End a Trivia Game:
If you’ve changed your mind or want to change something about the game of trivia, you can choose to end the game early, using the overflow menu in the game prompt.