Learn about Polly Trivia🎖️ in Slack through this quick guide on how it works, how to create and end a trivia game.
Polly Trivia🎖️ in Slack is a great way to engage your team with general knowledge questions in a variety of categories. Try playing trivia games once a week with your team during a social or lunch hour, to break out from normal work discourse.
💡 A good rule of thumb includes no googling or outside help. Encourage your team to have fun and not take things too seriously. Good sportsmanship is key to creating an inviting and rewarding experience.
How to launch a Trivia Session:
There are several ways to launch a trivia session including:
- Slack Shortcuts
By hovering over the ⚡ button on Slack, you can choose the Run Trivia Game🎖️ option.
- Polly app home
By navigating to the polly app home on Slack, click on Get Started to view the social games options. From there you can Start Polly Trivia🎖️ game in your chosen channel (private or public)
- Polly web app
Navigate to your polly web app dashboard > go to Templates > here you'll see the options to all the social games available.
✏️Note: Social games including Polly Trivia can only be created from the web app for private channels🔒 — if polly is invited in them.
Authoring from Slack Shortcuts
To get started:
- Navigate to the shortcuts ⚡ button in Slack
- Select Run Trivia Game🎖️ under the Polly App options. A pop up will display to start a game of trivia.
- Select which channel you would like to play trivia in.
- Next, select how many questions in the game, game speed and question categories.
You can also choose to preview the trivia game before sending it to your Slack channel.
- Once you have reviewed your trivia questions, if you choose to do so, you can Post and Start your game.
- Confirmation of your game as well as an invitation to play, will be sent to the Slack channel you selected.
As the game is underway, you will notice a thread appear in your Slack channel. Polly will post the previously asked question as well as the correct answer, at 30 second intervals.
Once the game has concluded, a fun gif will display along with a list of everyone’s scores. See how you and your teammates did, and then launch another round! 🎉
How to End a Trivia Game:
If you’ve changed your mind or want to change something about the game of trivia, you can choose to end the game early, using the overflow menu in the game prompt.